St. Mary Gate of Heaven Catholic Academy

Home Gallery Calendar E-mail UPK Parish


School History


Our earliest parochial school was founded in December 1904, barely four months after the parish of Saint Mary Gate of Heaven had celebrated its first mass. The teaching body consisted of three nuns from the Daughters of Wisdom that answered the call from the parish from their establishment at Eastview in Ontario, Canada.

The old school, located on 104th Street to the rear of the rectory, was erected in 1907. In the year 1908 our first graduation occurred and consisted of four graduates. Around the year 1920 the old building became fully occupied with students and was identified as St. Mary Gate of Heaven School.

In October, 1952, ground breaking and cornerstone laying exercises for our present day building took place. By 1954 this building proudly took on the shape of our current school and on Sunday, November 14 of that year was blessed by the Auxiliary Bishop of Brooklyn, Rev. John J. Boardman. The following decade, a junior high school and gymnasium became a necessity. To meet this requirement a new building was constructed towards the latter part of the 1960's.